The public has the right to know
where their e-waste goes
The e-Trash Transparency Project was designed to once and for all get real data to find out what really happens when you drop your old computer, monitor or printer at a charity or at an electronics recycler. BAN has placed 200 small GPS-based tracking devices into old printers and monitors and delivered them to Goodwill and to various recyclers around the country. Read our first report from the project and the press release to find out what we learned.
Scam Recycling. e-Dumping on Asia by US Recyclers.
The Press Release
Disconnect: Goodwill and Dell Exporting the Public’s E-waste to Developing Countries
The Press Release
The PBS Video
The MIT Visualization
- Vice - A Shocking Amount of E-Waste Recycling Is a Complete Sham
- Time - You’ll Never Believe Where Your Old Computer Could End Up After You Hand It In for Recycling
- Recycling International - GPS tracking of US e-scrap sparks controversy
- Huffington Post - Even When Recycled, Old Computer Parts End Up Where They Shouldn’t
- HeraldNet - Editorial: Hefty fine for electronics ‘recycler’ fits abuse of trust
- KCTS 9 - Recycler Hit With Half-Million-Dollar Fine After Dumping E-Waste in Hong Kong
- KOMO News - State fines Seattle recycler $444,000 after high-tech sleuthing
- Wired - Location Trackers Reveal Where Your E-Junk Really Ends Up
- OPB - On The Trail Of America's Dangerous, Dead Electronics
- KOMO News - 'They're like little lie detectors:' Seattle company caught sending recycling overseas
- Waste360 - A Journey of America’s E-Waste
- Recycling Today - BAN finds trouble in its own back yard
- The Intercept - GPS Tracking Devices Catch Major U.S. Recyclers Exporting Toxic E-Waste
- Xconomy - Investigation Finds Recyclers Ship E-Waste Overseas
- Environmental Leader - Dell Investigating E-Waste Management Following Watchdog Group’s Misconduct Claims
- WasteDive - Tracking the international journey of the United States' deadly e-waste
- Resource Recycling - Industry responds to export report
- Metal - Dell to scrutinize e-waste policy, after allegations of illegal exports
- Popular Mechanics - GPS Tracking Reveals U.S. E-Waste May Be Exported Illegally
- Grist - Investigation reveals where our e-waste ends up and it ain’t good
- OPB - NW E-Cycle Programs Tested By Electronic Waste Exports
- Tages Woche - Hier landet unser Elektroschrott
- Huffington Post - The Terrible Truth About How Your Gadgets Die
- PRI - The US is still dumping some of its toxic e-waste overseas
- SCMP - Turn back the e-waste tide: pressure to stop flood of toxic imports from US to Hong Kong
- RTHK - Marine & electronic waste in HK and interview with Christine Loh, acting Secretary for the Environment. The e-waste part starts at 6:14 on the video.
- HK News - 新聞透視 廢物GPS 2016-07-20
Photo (above): Junkyard full of American computer printers in New Territories, Hong Kong.
What do I do?
What CAN I do with my old computer or phone or printer etc. when it dies on me. Read more here.